for people and planet.
- SHIROTA-ISM – HOW IT ALL BEGAN
- The first bottle of Yakult was created by Dr. Minoru Shirota and his colleagues, in 1935. Yakult was born from Dr. Shirota’s three key ideas that we now know as Shirota-ism. First, the importance of preventive medicine. He emphasized preventing illness rather than treating it once it has developed. Second, the secret to a long life is a healthy intestinal tract as the intestines are where nutrients are absorbed. And finally, we should make Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota* (Yakult) accessible to as many people as possible.
- OUR PHILOSOPHY
- Rooted in Shirota-ism, Yakult conducts its business under one binding philosophy: “We contribute to the health and happiness of people around the world through pursuit of excellence in life science in general and our research and experience in microorganisms in particular.” We help people around the world lead a healthy and enjoyable life through gut health. Our business is to bring the results of beneficial bacterium research, by turning them into products, to people globally. Since the founding of the company, this idea and belief has not changed. In fact, it has been instilled in every employee. “We want to secure the health of people around the world.” Starting with Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota, we will contribute to resolving modern health issues through intestinal health.
- OUR COMMITMENT
- To fully commit to Shirota-ism and aiming at realizing our philosophy, we must not just focus on people’s health, but also the planet’s. We are committed to the belief that “In order for people to be healthy, everything around them must also be healthy.” That’s why we are dedicated to creating a more sustainable future for people and the planet.
- Read on to learn more about the important environment and social issues we are committed to pursuing in our goal to create a better future for all.
*Classified as Lacticaseibacillus paracasei strain Shirota since April 2020